Wednesday 6 June 2012

Curry cravings in pregnancy will never end well…

This is bound to be long and boring so feel free to have a nap instead of reading it!

I fell pregnant with my eldest son, Dylan, when I was 18.  I was a size 10-12 and 10 stone before the cravings kicked in – curry, and lots of it.  By the time Dylan was born in December 2005 I was 4.5st heavier and size 20… yikes!

When Dylan was 8 weeks old my now-husband and I moved out of our parent’s homes and into our little flat.  I wasn’t very good at cooking from scratch so bought a lot of processed food, and we lived on a road full of takeaways: we ate a lot of junk!

In September 2007 our daughter Daisy came along.  I actually lost weight during that pregnancy, despite my cake craving!  I was a size 18 and lost 1st on Weight Watchers for our wedding in July 2008.  I didn’t like my time on Weight Watchers at all, some people swear by it but I found it all too easy to waste my points on rubbish early in the day and then be hungry all night!

wedding 2008

I first joined Slimming World in 2009 when my neighbour became a consultant.  It was so easy to do, I was losing weight really well and got down to a size 16, until my husband’s work commitments changed and I couldn’t go to group.  I told myself I would carry on at home but without the weekly weigh in it never happened!  Christmas arrived and I was back to a size 20 :(  I should have started up again in January…

christmas2009

Main meals were fine, I could cook by then and still cooked everything in a Slimming World friendly way.  But I went back to having sugar in my tea instead of sweetener, filled up between meals on toast and chocolate etc, and counting syns didn’t cross my mind.

When I found out I was pregnant in August 2010 I resolved to eat better.  That decision combined with horrendous morning sickness meant I lost a stone while I was pregnant.  A few days after having Noah in April 2011 I decided to I needed to go back to Slimming World.  I waited until he was 5 weeks old and breastfeeding was well established before going back to my old group.  I was worried as I didn’t know anyone, but having a newborn baby with me proved to be a great conversation starter!  I took it slowly at first as he was so young but as he got bigger I found it easier and started losing more weight.

In October 2011 I won our group’s Miss Slinky competition!

miss slinky oct 2011

By Christmas 2011 I had lost almost 2st and was down to a size 16.  This year started well but unfortunately the last couple of months have been very hectic – I have made wedding cakes and been bridesmaid at 2 weddings, organised and been to 4 hen parties (including a weekend in Bath and a few days in Marrakech!), and done the London Moonwalk!  I have had less time and energy to plan my food so my weight has crept up a little and I’m now back at a 1st 13lb loss.

lottiebridesmaid kiribridesmaid
jenmoonwalk

I’ve decided to start writing this to get me back on the wagon and to share my photos and recipes.  I called it '18 to 10' to remind myself of the size I was and the size I'm aiming for - hopefully it will keep me on track!

Jen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment