Wednesday 12 June 2013

Cupboard Necessities

This week I have noticed that I don't have all my usual Slimming World staples in the cupboard/fridge, so I thought it would be beneficial to write down the essentials for anyone new to Slimming World, or anyone who needs a little reminder (like me!).

1. Frylight

Use Frylight instead of oil to cook anything from scrambled eggs to roasted vegetables. Completely free and in constant use in this house, even when I haven't been following the plan (that's the good thing about Slimming World - little changes stick in your head and become habit!)

2. Eggs

Breakfast, lunch or dinner. Great when you haven't got much else! I like to use up sad looking vegetables to make omelettes or frittatas. I try and keep a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge for snacks or bulking up salads. Good for syn free pancakes, or to go with a full 'fry' up.

3. Ham

Ham is syn free so once again good for omelettes, salads or snacks. If I'm out and hungry I often buy a packet of ham, some grapes and a banana to keep me going.

4. Ainsley Harriott Cous Cous

So quick and easy, and really tasty. Different flavours have different syn values so make sure you check! Roast some vegetables in the oven (butternut squash is superfree and very filling) and mix into the cous cous for a big lunch that takes very little effort.

5. Passata

I try and keep lots of passata in the cupboard and a pack of extra lean mince in the freezer - add garlic, onion and basil to the passata to make a quick sauce to go with homemade meatballs & pasta. Or make a quick chilli con carne, tomato soup, curry... I use passata a lot!

6. Smash

I don't know what I'd do without Smash! Mix with cottage cheese & eggs to make syn free scones or pizza base (I will post the recipe over the next couple of days), or make it up with water and mix in a Healthy Extra A of cheese for yummy cheesy mash to have with bacon, eggs & veg.

7. Mugshots

Again, different flavours have different syn values. Ideal for a quick lunch (with some fruit after for your 1/3 superfree) and all you need is a mug, a kettle and 5 minues.

8. Muller Lights

Quick breakfast, pudding or snack and easy peasy to make more interesting and filling by adding fruit. Also a good substitute for ice cream if you stick them in the freezer for a while.

9. Pickled Stuff!

I absolutely love most pickled things, the top shelf of my fridge is full of jars! I add gherkins, beetroot and pickled spicy peppers to salads, I eat them with cold meat leftover from roasts, I eat them on their own as snacks! All adds to the amount of superfree I'm eating, especially if it's before I've been shopping and we don't have much fruit or veg.

10. Cereal Bars

Hifi bars from group, Alpen Lights or  even the cheapy version in Aldi. I always choose ones that I can have 2 of for a Healthy Extra B choice (one for a snack mid morning, one before I pick the kids up from school, or when I am watching their swimming lessons etc). My favourite at the moment are the apple & sultana Benefit bars from Aldi (6 for £1.39, way cheaper than Alpen Lights and just as nice).

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment